Sunday, March 14, 2010

And the winner is . . .

Well, no one actually. Mom and Joseph guessed, but they was incorrect, and we had no other entries, so I guess I'll keep my $3,000 prize to myself. Too bad.

We built a very rudimentary photo light box!

I must admit, it's not as effective as I was hoping it would be. I believe it has to do with (1) the lights themselves (we just pulled lamps from around the house and used the ceiling lights), (2) the size of the box (2 ft. x 2ft. x 2 ft.), and (3) our makeshift tissue paper light diffusers.

But, it was still quite a fun little adventure, trying to put that thing together. I got to use the tools from the tool box Ashely's dad gave me (thanks Dad!). There's not much that can make a male feel like a man like building something with hand tools (aside from making something out of power tools, of course).

The main reason we built the light box was for taking pictures of Ashley's new endeavor: cards. She will be launching card production through etsy.com. More on that later. Here's a sample, to whet your appetite:
We used a brown bed sheet as a back drop, which worked pretty well. We also experimented some with a white poster board as a back drop. This is my attempt with my BYU watch:

And, of course, Ashley has to show me up and takes this incredible picture, which was loaded directly onto the computer, no manipulation of any kind through Photoshop or anything:

So, that has been our most recent adventure - building a box, experimenting with photography, and exploring a new hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you didn't mention the tissue paper in your list of materials. Maybe that would have been just the edge we needed to guess what you were making. But, good job anyway. Ashley's shot of the watch is great - no shadows, so it looks like together you've figured out how to get pretty good pictures with your light box.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with your hand tools/power tools statement.
    Every time we start a new project in my construction class that requires us to cut new pieces of wood, I feel like a real man.

    My mom: how was construction?
    Me: I had a BLAST!
    My mom: haha why?
    Me: I got to cut wood!

    ReplyDelete