Previously, I posted some thoughts on MRSA Secrets Revealed. I later received a comment on the post, which made me think (thanks Rowdy!). So, I feel the need to say some more.
I do not have all the answers. I'm not the best writer, nor am I the strongest debater or philosopher (actually, I'm pretty bad at both). The purpose of my posts are to share some of my thoughts (and adventures) and hopefully to spark some thoughts (and adventures) in others. And that is apparently what has happened!
So, in response to Rowdy's comments, you're absolutely right. The United States does not have a monopoly on profit motive. In fact, I (and many economists) may be wrong in assuming that companies often put profit in front of humanity in the first place (Johnson & Johnson's Tylenol incident is a great example of a company acting to protect its customers). Additionally, natural remedies may not be more effective than current medical practice. I certainly don't have the expertise or money to find out.
I also agree that my post had an emotional tone to it. It was my first post and I was trying to write it before going to class (lame excuse, huh?). I don't think it accurately reflects my actual attitude toward the subject. That's the funny thing about blogging- once it's written and up on the internet, there's no taking it back! The thoughts that I had (and often have) on most subjects (including the medical topic) are, in reality, more inquisitive and curious, rather than factual or rhetorical; leaning more towards introspection, reflection, and hypothesizing than towards persuasion and defense.
In any case, I'm still learning, as I hope we all are. So thank you for the giving me the opportunity for reflecting on my actions - it's good for the soul.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

=) it's all good. i am just finishing dealing with my first MRSA infection myself...
ReplyDeleteugh!
ps-good blog, good writing!