Wednesday, March 10, 2010

This Month's Book

I have discovered a new book to list among my favorites! The non-fiction book I have chosen to read this month is entitled Wind, Sand and Stars. It is a book written by a pioneer in the age of flight, a pilot for the Latecoere Company by the name of Antione de Saint Exupery. Exupery seems to weave personal stories, thoughts, and philosophy all into one great tapestry of literary enjoyment. Let me share just one reason why I like this book so much.

After relating the incredible tale of his fellow mail pilot-friend Guillaumet, who survived a crash landing in the expanses of the Andes in mid-winter, he shares this insight:

Guillaumet was one among those bold and generous men who had taken upon themselves the task of spreading their foliage over bold and generous horizons. To be a man is, precisely, to be responsible. It is to feel shame at the sight of what seems to be unmerited misery. It is to take pride in a victory won by one's comrades. It is to feel, when setting one's stone, that one is contributing to the building of the world (60).

Responsibility. That is the mark of a man. I believe this world could use a lot more men. And I would add, too, that responsibility is not only feeling, but doing.

In any case, if you want a great book to read, pick up Wind, Sand and Stars. I am enjoying every page of it.

Saint Exupery, A. de. (1939). Wind, Sand and Stars. Translated by Lewis Galantiere. New York: Reynal & Hitchcock.

No comments:

Post a Comment