Friday, July 2, 2010

Adventures at the Fair

Between school projects, studying an AICPA ethics course, planning for Chicago and other commitments, we made it to the fair again, and it was AWESOME!

Reason Number 1 - The food. Do you want anything fried? The fair is the place to do it! Even if it's already friend, they'll fry it again.



Yes, this place is called Heart Attack Cafe . . . I wonder how many heart attacks they've actually caused . . . Some of that stuff actually sounds really good - fried cheese crisps! But fried butter!? Come on! I heard the chocolate-covered bacon tastes just like a chocolate covered pretzel. I didn't try one.

We passed a health food stand. Guess how crowded that place was!? Yeah . . . it wasn't. It was empty.

Reason 2 - Our food. Although we didn't get the deep friend butter, we did have lunch at the fair!


That, my friends, is a Giant Western Sausage. You can see the big banner for the meal in the back. And there is no photoshopping here, that is a BIG sausage! Ashley is my witness that I ate the whole thing. And so is this picture:

If I look a little sick in the picture, it's because I felt a little full. . . but not full enough to steal some of Ashley's gigantic Parmesan pretzel!


Oh man, don't even get me going on how good that place smells.

Reason 3 - Trucks. Oh man. There's nothing like big trucks, loud noises, and mayhem to get me excited! They had some monster trucks, but they weren't "performing" when we were there, although they certainly showed 'em off!


What really rocked was the street-legal off-road racing. Ashley hates to hear it, but I think I found my life's calling!!!



Here are some videos for your viewing entertainment! The four-door had a pretty poor time, but the black truck did alright. However, there were trucks that demolished the course and there was one truck was demolished by the course . . . broken drive-shaft.






And we're going back for a demolition derby on Monday. Yeah. The fair rocks.

Reason 4 - People's amazing talents, especially in woodworking. So, recently, I've become very interested in woodworking art. The fair showcased some amazing wood art. Here are some samples (I really want that horse-themed desk and Ashley wants the cherry-tree-like desk . . . if only we had $49,000 to buy both . . .):



Reason 5 - Contests. On our way to the exit, we passed some flower competitions. Contestants brought in their "prize" flowers. And they were really cool! Tons of perfect-looking roses, amazing colors, and some of the strangest flowers we had ever seen (sorry, we didn't think to take pictures).

Reason 6 - I'll have to fill you in after we visit the demolition derby!

3 comments:

  1. woah! the fair looks like crazy fun!! i'm sad i missed it... Maybe they could put on an encore day next saturday when we come down ha ha... complete with the truck jumps and everything. And the giant hot dogs. And fried ice cream would be great. If you could put in a good word with the good citizens of San Diego that'd be great:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I wish I lived in California like you guys! looks like the fair was fun:)!!
    (By:Ashleys cousin Emma Gentry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. Deep fried butter? My heart started pumping harder just reading that.

    Also, that hot dog is UNBELIEVABLE! Haha I am so impressed you ate that by yourself...looks like something Mike would do. I can only imagine the havoc he would wreck on his body at this place.

    Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete