Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hawaii!

Ok, I've put it off long enough - here comes Hawaii. Since Ashley did such a great job at doing a day-by-day run-down of our activities, I'm going to give some of my highlights and favorites here. I must admit, I loved Hawaii! In fact, Hawaii has somehow worked itself into my dreams multiple times this week. I'd go back right now if I could . . .

Anyways, here are Hawaii Highlights!

Pali Lookout - Super windy. After getting our luggage and rental cars (I ended up driving a Jeep Compass . . . didn't like it - I would have much rather driven the Wrangler and I think Dad would have rather driven the Compass, but oh well), Dad lead us through some nice rain forest areas and up to the Pali Lookout.  What a view!

 

Pearl Harbor - Being at Pearl Harbor was a good experience. The chain of events that launched the US into World War II is interesting and seeing the Arizona Memorial was very unique. We were lucky to actually get to the Memorial because we were the last tour group to see the memorial before the winds kicked up and the Navy shut down the ferry to the memorial.



Dole Plantation - This was Ashley's great idea and we're all glad we went. The pineapples were so good! I have never tasted more succulent, flavorful pineapples than in Hawaii. The pineapple maze was fun, although long. But the food was great and the area is kept very nice.


 
 

Waimea Bay - Having watched countless hours of surfing video from this spot, I knew where we were from the second the bay came into view from around the cliffs. During the winter months, Waimea Bay can get seriously big surf. In the summer, the water is clear and clam. There were tons of funny little fish in the bay and lots to see. A favorite is the Waimea Bay jump rock. It's a fun little jump. San Diego had a cold winter - some sources say it was the coldest summer San Diego had experienced in 70 years. The water was cold, too. I wore a wetsuit through the summer, which I had never done in San Diego before. In Hawaii, you don't need a wetsuit unless you're scuba diving. It's awesome.


Did I jump? You bet I did.


Horseback Riding - If I weren't an accountant, I might want to be a cowboy. Horseback riding above Waimea Bay was awesome, especially when it started raining, although it kind of blocked most of the scenic views. There's just something about riding a gigantic, powerful animal through uninhabited wilderness that feels so . . . good. I'm no master horse rider, but I had a fun time. (Yes, I'm wearing shorts. Why? Well, who brings pants to Hawaii!? I mean, come on!).


Polynesian Cultural Center - This place was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. The Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) was packed, but it was a lot of fun. The Luau was great, the food was good, but not exactly authentic (you try cooking for 500+ people every night and keep it authentic!).


Manoa Falls - Before Hawaii, I had never been to a tropical rain forest and this one certainly didn't disappoint. Joining on our hike was my high school friend Russ. The only thing I'd change about the hike was the mosquitoes - there were hoards of 'em.


Kailua Segway Tour - This was a fun tour. Ashley and I had ridden a Segway before, but this was an hour and a half tour around Kailua, so it was pretty sweet. These things are pretty fun to ride. Ashley keeps pestering me that I should get one for her . . . ok, but only when I can build a rock climbing gym in my house.


Hanauma Bay - Although we were initially going to snorkeling at the "China Wall," our plans changed and we went to Hanauma Bay. Apparently, China Wall is the better place to go snorkeling, but not everyone was thrilled about the location. Hanauma Bay was fun - crowded, with people, fish, and mongooses. There were tons of fish there - more fish than I've ever seen snorkeling anywhere. Dad and my brothers even followed a sea turtle around for a little while. Great place.

 
Sunrise at Kailua Beach - For something special on our anniversary, Ashley and I got up and walked the mile or so to Kailua Beach to watch the sunrise. Neither of us really enjoy getting up early in the morning, so I was surprised when Ashley suggested it. But, it was very nice. It rained on us for a few minutes as we walked down to the beach. But it was very worth it and very romantic.


Laie - Of course, while we were there, we visited BYU-Hawaii and the Laie Temple. Sadly, the temple was closed while we were there, but the Visitor's Center and BYU-H were nice. I wonder what my life would be like if I had been accepted into BYU-H . . . I probably wouldn't be in Chicago right now . . . but that's another story and I like my life. Plus, I probably wouldn't have met Ashley! So, it's probably good that I went to Provo.

Beach - My favorite part of Hawaii was going to the beach EVERY DAY. And I loved it. I think the Beach Boys had it right . . . "If everybody had an ocean . . ."


No comments:

Post a Comment