Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Initial Thoughts

Ashley and I are reading one non-fiction book per month as part of our New Year's resolution to become more educated. Last month, I read MRSA Secrets Revealed by Michelle Moore (2008). Some of you may know that Ashley and I have had multiple MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) skin infections. I do not recommend contracting this "super-bug" there's nothing "super" about it, aside from being super-annoying.

Reading this book lead me to some very interesting thoughts that I now share with you (some of these thoughts are more or less direct from Moore's book):

Why do I trust the United States governmental agencies more than the governmental agencies of other nations? Moore (2008) writes that other nations around the world are using treatments that may be more effective against MRSA infections. Why aren't we using them? One reason may be because of the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and the legal environment of the United States. Here's why:

Pharmaceutical companies are profit driven. Although they do want to increase human health, they wouldn't want to cure all people from disease. Why? It would put them out of a job! They make drugs to "cure" people of illness and disease. If there is no more illness and disease, they won't have a business. Therefore, it is the pharmaceutical companies' best interest to provide drugs that will help people recover, but not necessarily to help them recover fully from every ailment.

The FDA approves drugs for use in the United States and then subsequently monitors these drugs in the market. The process for getting FDA approval is fairly intense and expensive (Morre, 2008, pages 20-22) and "natural remedies" are not patentable, although they may be the most effective. Pharmaceutical companies do not have the incentive to prove the effectiveness of "natural treatments" because they won't make any money from the endeavor.

In short, because pharmaceutical companies do not have strong monetary incentive to make "miracle drugs," the FDA does not or has not approved "natural remedies," and natural remedies cannot be patented, natural remedies are not heavily used in the United States.

Now, consider the possibility that other nations have it right - that natural remedies are more effective against MRSA. Why do we trust the United States government and US culture more than those of other nations? Maybe we trust them more because it's what we're most accustomed to? Maybe because of advertising? Maybe because there's more money involved? Many more thoughts there.

Of course, this argument is based on assumptions that may not be absolutely correct: I assume that pharmaceutical companies are worried about money to the point where they will withhold a drug if it will put them out of business. I also assume that the FDA does not approve natural products because of Moore's book (pages 20-22) because it is too expensive for pharmaceutical companies.

So, what role does money play in health care? Do other countries have it right? Some interesting thoughts . . .

Moore, M. & Moore, L. (2008). MRSA Secrets Revealed: Safe and effective methods for handling Staph and MRSA your doctor isn't telling you. Fort Collins, CO: Embrace Health, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with all these statements. I hate being sick in America, cause you basically have no idea what exactly you should take to get better VERY SOON (maybe it's because I'm Russian, but even Tim didn't know what exactly we could buy). I know perfectly what I need to get better really fast (2-4 days and you are absolutely healthy), but you don't have it here in America. I got so frustrated. There are so many cool natural remedies we know about in Russia:) So, it's better not to get sick here! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your main premise has a few faults in it. you propose it is the profit motive of US companies that keeps them from developing a treatment that you feel works or is similar to a european one.

    first, you suppose then that EU companies do not share the same profit motive as US companies. That is false, they do.

    secondly, you propose that a natural remedy has an intrinsic value greater than a pharmaceutical company one. I would like see this.

    careful hand washing, hibaclense in the shower once a week and if you do get an infection, cover it and start your 10 day course of Septra and Keflex.

    that is how you beat your MRSA infection.

    not through an emmotional play on percieved differences in systems and attitudes between europe and the US.

    ReplyDelete