After consulting with two professional "rockers" (geologists) in our ward, my rock turns out to be a really unique paperweight. It's most likely not a fossil. It's probably not a geode suspended in some rare material. It's most likely a limestone sedimentary rock stuck in a limestone sedimentary rock. The curious "egg" shapes are probably pebble-like rocks that got stuck in the mud millions of years ago and covered by other mud which then dissolved or something. And after a million years (give or take a thousand or two), the rocks did some other funny stuff which gave it that weird sunken look, broke off the top of Mt. Timpanogos and fell underfoot of two adventure seekers on a hike (that's Chris and me).
So, my rock is nothing special or overly valuable, but it is unique! One of the geologists said, "I've never seen a formation like this before." Neither had I, and that's why I picked it up. The rock is still a mystery to me, but at least I have a better idea what it is now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment