This month's reading was interesting . . . I started reading Freakonomics, which uses basic economic principles such as information asymmetry and incentives to explain non-conventional economic situations. The information was interesting, but the language was occasionally very offensive, so I didn't finish the book.
Instead, I read a book on the parallel lives of Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton. I'm not a big history buff, so it was interesting to read about these two prominent Americans and their experiences in this young country. I must say, I'm very glad to live in these modern times with so many advances in medicine, technology, and just about everything else. What surprised me about the book, though, was how human nature really hasn't changed much - people still lie, steal, cheat, and act poorly in self interest.
So, what did I learn from these books? I learned that you can't judge a book by it's cover or by the New York Times best seller list. I also learned that books should have a rating system, just like movies do (wouldn't that be interesting?). I also learned that I don't know much at all about US history and that it doesn't really interest me all that much, although I do love America.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-fiction book for July?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's been a while since I've read freakonomics but I do remember not appreciating the language. Kudos to you for being willing to put it down. Sometimes I think I am too lenient with books even when I am pretty good at screening movies. I guess I should try and be more like you :-)
ReplyDeleteRecommendations:
The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout. Crud this book freaked me out - I don't think I necessarily agree with the Statistics but there are some parts that are VERY interesting.
Golden Arches East by James Watson (actually he's the editor). About the social impact of McDonald's in Asia. Cultural anthropology - more interesting than it sounds.
Anything by Lance Armstrong or Dean Karnazes. Karnazes ran 50 marathons in 50 days. His books are pretty amazing - but he is kinda arrogant at times. Anything I have read about/by Lance Armstrong is awesome.
Any of the Eat This/Not That books. You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stuff on the Not That list.
StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath.
Don't you just love summer reading? Any suggestions for me?