Ladies and gentlemen, it's official, I survived my first blizzard. Sure, there was that one winter when I was driving from California to Utah with my cousins and the freeway was shut down from snow and we spent the night in The-Middle-of-Nowhere, Utah (at the Apple Creek Inn, if I remember correctly), but, my friends, I never saw this before Tuesday:
Yeah, thunder snow?! Guys, it’s real. We heard it. It was snowing and there was thunder. It was wild. Our office closed early Tuesday and even though the snow was coming down, I didn’t think it was going to be that bad. My manager came in a few times and said, “Hey, are you heading out?” I didn’t think it would be that bad, “No, I’m fine – I’ll just walk to the train station and catch the train out. I don’t drive in.” Well, he won and I headed out early only to find the city practically evacuating. The train station was ridiculously packed - trains running completely full, and off schedule.
At one point, the hundreds of us trying to board the trains more like cattle than people, got on to a train only to have the conductor come on the intercom.
“Attention passengers. I need your attention. You need to get off of this train and head to platform 4. This train will not be leaving. You need to head to platform 4 for your next train.”
It usually takes me an hour to get door-to-door between the office and home. It took twice that long on Tuesday, which wasn’t all that bad, but it was quite an adventure. I worked the rest of Tuesday and all of Wednesday from home. Ashley’s school was canceled Tuesday through Thursday. When the storm cleared, this is what we enjoyed:
Ridiculous amounts of snow. More snow than I’ve ever seen come down overnight. It was crazy.
Here’s Ashley and I . . . . standing in the middle of the road . . . yes, the middle of the road. You can see that there would be no possible way to get anywhere without the roads being plowed . . . which only some of them were. Apparently, some people were stuck overnight in their cars on Lake Shore Drive. Wild.
The bushes were probably the reason for the snow bank here . . . the snow bank that is taller than that red SUV.
And there’s more snow today. Church was canceled because there was no heat in the building. So, here’s to Old Man Winter.

Wow, that's crazy! And you're surviving it! And I believe it was the Apple Creek Inn. Good memory.
ReplyDeleteReminds me of Brenda and I in Cleveland, Ohio for 4 years. Great memories! It will make spring, summer, and fall that much more enjoyable. Now you can tell your future kids that you survived the blizzard of January 2011!
ReplyDelete