Can I just say that I don't get Occupy Wall Street? Yes, I understand that people are frustrated, but what are they trying to accomplish? Women's sufferage movements, anti-racism movements, environmental movements, those all make sense to me - they had and have a goal: get women equal voting and social rights, remove racism, protect endangered plants and animals, etc (not that I agree 100% with all the methods or all the rhetoric). What is the point of Occupy Wall Street? Tear down everything America has built up? Cause mass mayhem so that economies and the average American have a harder time recovering? It seems counter intuitive. I just don't get it . . .
I was listening to the radio the other day and one guy quit his job and bought a one way ticket to New York to protest. Hello! If you're frustrated that other people are making more money than you, why did you quit your job?! I just don't get it . . .
I wonder - not too put anyone down, but just to know the truth of the whole situation - how many people sincerely believe that they are being dealt a social injustice because someone else has more money than them. (For an interesting comparison - compare the response to the Great Depression to the response to the current economic challenges. I may be wrong, but I don't remember reading about protests on Wall Street during the Great Depression - I read about people making ends meet because they had to.) I really think that we all need to learn to live within our means and be happy living within our means. It doesn't mean that we can't want nice things. Wanting something is an effective motivator. So is the point of the movement to take from the rich and give to the not-as-rich (people, we live in the United States of America - we have it good)? I just don't get it . . .
Now, we have celebrities endorsing the movement - this, I really don't get. Check out this article: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/10/13/are-celebrities-supporting-occupy-wall-street-movements-heroes-or-hypocrites/. Heroes or hypocrites? That is a great question. My question is - why are people who make more than the typical American supporting a movement which is criticizing, demeaning, and demonizing the people who make more than the typical American? I just don't get it . . .
There's more, but I'll spare you. In essence, I just don't get it . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment